UBC’s Okanagan campus is a site of the Banff International Research Station for Mathematical Innovation and Discovery (BIRS).
Information for Workshop OrganizersWorkshops at UBC operate on the same 5-day schedule as in Banff with participants arriving on Sunday evening and departing at noon on Friday.
Many of the operating procedures for workshop organizers at UBC are the same as at Banff.
Potential ParticipantsWorkshops are invitation-only events for the global scientific community. If you are interested in attending but have not yet been invited, please refer to the guidelines below.
FacultyPlease email the BIRS Program Coordinator , who will then submit your request to the organizers of the workshop you are interested in attending.
Students and Postdoctoral FellowsPlease email the BIRS Program Coordinator with a brief letter of recommendation from your supervisor. We will then submit your request to the organizers of the workshop you are interested in attending. Note that invited participants can request a new invitation to a workshop. If you are unable to find your invitation, please visit www.birs.ca/ubco-rsvp.
Each workshop follows the 5-Day Workshop format favoured by BIRS .
- Invited participants should plan to arrive on late Sunday afternoon or evening and depart Friday afternoon. Five nights on-campus accommodation and meal expenses are provided by BIRS-UBC-O.
A schedule template can be found here.
- Schedule and other information for All Meetings at BIRS-UBC-O in 2023. Note: BIRS-UBC-O is in the Pacific Time Zone - same as Los Angeles, California.
IT Support for Livestreaming and Recording
- The main meeting room is equipped with a computer and webcam which has tracking capability.
- An assistant will remain in the lecture room to oversee livestreaming and recording of all presentations.
Coffee BreaksThese will be held in an area close to the main meeting room.
MealsAll meals are in the Sunshine Cafeteria which is located in the Administration Building. Open hours are 8AM-8PM every day.
- A number of small classrooms will be made available for small group discussions.